St. Barnabas' Episcopal Church Sanctuary entrance of St. Barnabas' Episcopal Church
St. Barnabas' Church in 1960, soon after construction

A Brief History of St. Barnabas' Parish

In 1956, The Rev. Gordon Price of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Fergusson
First services were held in a rented house on St. catherine St.
First services were held in 1957 in this rented house at 1750 St. Catherine.
convinced his congregation that they ought to plant a mission church five miles to the north of them in Florissant because so many people living in that area were attending St. Stephen's. This became a reality on April 28, 1957 when the new congregation assembled for worship for the first time. The Rev. Mr. Price was the officiant at a service of Morning Prayer and the preacher was the Archdeacon of the Diocese of Missouri, the Venerable Charles Rehkopf. Eighty-three persons were present for worship at that first service which was held in the basement of a rented house at 1750 St. Catherine Street. The Rev. Arthur Lichtenberger was the Bishop of Missouri when the congregation began its life.

Soon the fledgling congregation outgrew the house and moved worship to Parker Road Elementary School.
Interior view, looking toward the altar, in 1960.
Interior view, looking toward the altar, in 1960.
The Rev. Albert Nelius, the first Vicar, arrived on Sunday, October 6, 1957. The congregation broke ground for its building at the current location of the parish, 2900 St. Catherine, on May 3, 1959. In September of 1959, the new mission had 135 families on its rolls. Bishop George Cadigan dedicated the cornerstone of the new building on June 5, 1960 and, three months later, the first service was held there on September 25, 1960. There were 263 persons present at that service. By this time, the Rev. William. Stickney had become the 2nd Vicar.
Fr's Price and Good at the 25th Anniversary Service
Fr. Price (front) and Fr. Good prepare to process for the 25th Anniversary service.
He departed in April, 1963 and he was followed by the Rev. Howard Rutenbar, the 3rd Vicar of St. Barnabas'. The Rev. Edwin Duckworth, Jr. became the 4th Vicar in October of 1967 and after a short tenure of less than a year, he was succeeded by the the Rev. Douglas Vair, the 5th Vicar.

1991 groundbreaking for new parish hall.
Bishop Rockwell (right) and Fr. Tudor at the 1991 ground breaking ceremony for the new parish hall.
On September 24, 1972, St. Barnabas' was admitted to parish status in the diocese. On that day also, the Rev. Roy Welke was installed at the 1st Rector. In August of 1976, the Rev. John Good became the 2nd rector of the parish. He would stay in this position for almost eleven years. During his tenure, the parish celebrated its 25th anniversary on April 25, 1982. Mr. Good left in November of 1987, and he was succeeded by the Rev. Dr. Richard B. Tudor who was the rector until his retirement in May of 2008. In 1992, a building addition doubling the size of the physical plant was completed and dedicated by the Rt. Rev. William Jones, Bishop of the diocese. The new building contains the parish offices and an upstairs parish hall accessible to all.

On the weekend of April 28-29, 2007, the congregation celebrated its first 50 years of ministry.


To learn more about the history of St. Barnabas' Parish, you may download a copy of Father Richard Tudor's history of the parish's first fifty years: St. Barnabas' Episcopal Church - An Interpretive History: A Chronicle of the Years 1957-2008.

For more recent events: St. Barnabas’ Episcopal Church - 60 Years Celebration (1957-2017) - Summary of history of the last 10 years 2008—2017.

The files are in Adobe .PDF format.